Lagos Inaugurates Circular Economy Technical Working Group
The Technical Working Group of Circular Lagos Economy was inaugurated on Friday, 3rd September 2021 at the conference room of the Lagos State Ministry of Economic Planning and Budget (MEPB). Speaking on behalf of the governor, the Honorable Commissioner, Sam Egube expressed the willingness of the Babajide Olushola Sanwoolu led Administration to support every initiative that will further stimulate an efficient and effective delivery of public goods and services for the benefit of the good citizens of Lagos State.
He further stated that this administration has preemptively commenced the establishment of an interactive, Web-Based Citizens Engagement Dashboard, called the Wheel of Progress, designed to measure the level of implementation and impact of every plan/program/project of the administration; one of which shall be the proposed adoption of the Circular Economy Methodology in the management of limited resources that are available for the benefit of the people.
The technical working group (TWG) comprises heads/representatives of MDAs and private sector partners as listed below.
The mandate of the Circular Lagos working group revolves around setting up project targets, coordinating and facilitating the development of Circular Lagos Projects, supporting and monitoring project implementation. The members of the Circular Lagos Technical Working Group will act as:
- Circular Economy Champions; and
- Promote Circular Lagos Projects within their respective Ministries and across the broader public.
- Nexus point for cultivating private-public sector participation in Circular Lagos
The specific goals of the Circular Economy Technical Working Group will be to:
- Establish baseline and growth targets for “Regenerative” Businesses.
- Establish baseline and growth targets for “Regenerative” Communities; and
- Establish a baseline and sector-based targets for recycled/reusable material
- Convene and coordinate stakeholder engagement and public-private sector participation on selected themes
The key activities of the Circular Lagos Working Group are to:
- Finalize development goals for Circular Lagos
- Finalize criteria for Circular Lagos projects; assure that all projects initiated meet these criteria.
- Establish project and work group-based targets and performance metrics
- Establish an information management system to track project outcomes Share information on related projects within Lagos State for learning and information management purposes. Constructively coordinate with other committees and projects.
The proposed approach shall include but not be limited to convening Stakeholder Engagement Workshops to encourage the use of circular economy initiatives to stimulate enterprise and employment generation around the following themes:
- Elimination of single-use plastics
- Alternative packaging requirements
- 30% reduction in water and air pollution
- Zero-Waste agenda
- GDP Growth rate of >6%
- Increase the % of women-owned businesses
- MSME income growth of >5% over 5 years
- Energy production and consumption targets
- Improving Local production targets (sector-based)
- Stimulating Job creation.
In conclusion, the commissioner expressed the belief that the adoption of the principles of Circular Economy shall lead Lagos State to a Regenerative Material Economy that aligns with the metabolic process found in Resilient Ecosystems.